Our pets are our family and as pet parents, we strive to keep our furry family members safe and protected. Did you know that this week is National Justice for Animals Week? After doing a little research I discovered this event was created by the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF). This annual event occurs the last week of February each year. This year National Justice for Animals week is February 21-27, 2021 and according to the ALDF website, this annual event is committed to raising public awareness around crimes committed against animals.
Animal Legal Defense Fund Mission
As a pet parent and animal lover, we can make a difference. So, what does this look like? ALDF suggests a few tips. We can promote the prevention of animal cruelty by educating ourselves and learn what criminal cruelty is under the law. By building stronger laws, preventing abuse, and holding abusers accountable we can help uphold the interests of animal cruelty victims.
The ALDF works within the legal system to help protect the lives and interests of animals in different ways. One way in which ALDF makes an impact is by filing high-impact lawsuits to protect animals from harm and provide free legal assistance and training to prosecutors to ensure animal abusers are held accountable for their crimes. This organization supports strict animal protection legislation, contests legislation harmful to animals, and provides resources and opportunities to law students and professionals looking to grow in the emerging field of animal law.
To learn more about the Animal Legal Defense Fund, visit their website here.
So how can I help?
With this new information in mind combined with my own experience, here are 8 steps to help promote animal welfare and support National Justice for Animals Week.
- Educate yourself with your state animal protection laws.
- Learn which agencies in your town are responsible for responding to criminal animal cruelty. Have a plan on how to report to them if you witness a crime against an animal.
- Learn how to spot abuse. This includes neglect.
- Make your vote count. Support local representatives that support legislation that helps protect animals. Spread the word and share information.
- Use your dollars to support companies that support the ethical treatment of animals. Spend your dollars with stores that do not condone animal cruelty. Buy products you know do not test on animals. Do not support puppy mills. Adopt from a shelter and save a life.
- Volunteer or Donate $$– Dedicate some of your time to supporting local animal organizations that promote no-kill. If you do not have the extra time or energy to donate your time, give your monetary support to responsible organizations that support the ethical treatment of animals.
- Connect with the Animal Legal Defense Fund on social media. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Be the example you want to see! Most importantly, be an example of the world you want to see. Take small steps daily to provide a high quality of life for your pet. This includes keeping your pet up to date with their annual visits, microchipping or keeping tags on your pet, and feeding them the best quality food that matches your budget. Additionally, spending quality time together and being a responsible pet parent are all important ways you can support justice for animals.
To summarize, those are 8 simple ways to support animals in honor of National Justice for Animals Week. Our pets and animals without homes do not have a voice, so it is important we do what we can to support their well-being. Animals provide so much to us in all facets of our lives, it is important we do our part to help in any way we can.
Let me know in the comments below, did you know about National Justice for Animals Week? In what ways will you help support this event? Do you have any other helpful tips? Share your thoughts.
Don’t forget to pin and share this post with a friend!